- I thought he was cute.
- He didn’t know many young people.
- He was getting drunk at the bar with his dad.
- His dad kept telling him to dump his girlfriend because I was a lot nicer.
- I introduced him to my friends because he didn’t know many young people.
- And because I thought he was cute.
Fast forward three years later, John lives in Brooklyn and plays guitar in an up-and-coming band called Ski Lodge.
I don’t want to sound like a groupie here, but this band is actually really good. Ski Lodge is like The Smiths meets dancy surf rock. At first I wasn’t too sure how that combination sat with me, but it quickly grew on me.
When I listen to Ski Lodge, I imagine Morrissey sitting on a beach in an ironically worn Hawaiian shirt, sipping on a Mai Tai trying to have a good time, but ever compelled to sing about his sorrows like a pre-teen girl’s diary entry. Because he just can’t help it.
Doesn’t that sound like fun? Give them a listen.